Monday, October 5, 2009

Flower and Vegetable Market

A few weeks ago the embassy sponsored a weekday trip for the spouses to the local Flower and Vegetable Market here in Bangkok. It is located just on the edge of ChinaTown. I have never seen flowers so colorful and bright and in such an abundance. They were quite cheap cheap too. You could get a large bouquet of fresh orchids for 40 Baht which is just barely over $1. 






Can you guess what these are..............Mushrooms!

Ahhhh the hotness in all their glory!

A close up of the little devilish hot peppers that are in EVERYTHING here! 


I spy cucumbers but I am not sure what all the others are!


An interesting looking flower - almost didn't look real!


I really liked the speckled ones...

These have got to be the bluest flowers I have ever seen in my life.


This was such a colorful array of flowers that I could not pass up a picture!



I've no idea what these are either but they were interesting looking!

This is a shot down the street/sidewalk of the flower market. It spans a couple blocks.



This is inside one of the tunnels (as I call them) down the side from the flower market and back here they do flower arrangements for funerals, weddings and such. 

Ahhhh more of the pretty speckles...


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Susan and Joe! Love the pictures! The wrinkly looking things with the cucumbers are bitter melons. They are super bitter, surprise surprise! I love them - sauteed with turmeric and salt. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - it took me a while to figure out ACLDCL - haha - hey there - hmmm okay I might have to try out that recipe. Sounds yummy! Do they have another name besides bitter melons?

    ReplyDelete