Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Squat Toilets

OK I completely forgot to mention the squat toilets in my posting about the Talad Rong Klue Market.  So on our ride out to this market our driver stopped at a gas station for a potty break.  The minute we got out of the van I thought to myself oh my goodness we have left the city and are in the countryside - I bet they don't have westerner toilets.  Sure enough we go into the bathrooms and they are all SQUAT TOILETS.  Basically it is a white toilet bowl but what would normally be the seat of the toilet is level to the ground - so the toilet is in the ground.  You basically squat - very carefully I might add - and go.  It's a little tricky to say the least.  There is no toilet paper either so you just drip dry and hopefully you just gotta pee!  When you are done, there is a bin of water with a larger scooper and you scoop water into the toilet bowl to flush it.  Other than getting the squatting technique right and having no toilet paper - it wasn't that bad of an experience.  The toilets/bathrooms were unbelievably clean and did not smell at all.  It was shocking.  I'd rather go in a squat toilet than an outhouse or a porta-potty/john any day!  I used it a second time on our way home that day as we stopped for another potty break. The ones at the location on the way home were slightly different.  Same concept but there was a step up to the toilet bowl and you had to stand with your legs on each side of the bowl as there was no room in front.  Again, an interesting experience!

1 comment:

  1. Have heard of them... never seen one in person... thanks for the description. I think I'd always carry tissues with me.

    ReplyDelete