Sunday, September 27, 2009

Durian Fruit aka "King of the Fruits" in Asia

The fruit looks similar to a pineapple with a thorny husk.  There is a mushy edible flesh around a seed which emits a strong and penetrating odor even when intact but even more so once you remove the husk.  The fruits foul, overpowering and offensive odor has resulted in the fruits banishment from public transportation and hotels.  Even the weird food guy will not eat it.  But Joe and I decided to try it out.  It is a fruit so how bad can it really be?  Well imagine taking bananas, nuts and onions and pureeing them together and then eating it - that is the only way I can think to describe it.  I mean it was not so disgusting that I would not recommend you try it, but now that I have tried it, I am not sure I'd be running out dying to get some more.  The other food on our plate is chicken schwarma from our favorite Lebanese restaurant in town!  

1 comment:

  1. I smell all food before I eat it. I could never have eaten this so-called fruit. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete