Sunday, September 27, 2009

River Taxi and Wat Arun (aka "Temple of Dawn")

Joe and I went with my friend Frieda on a river taxi up the Chao Phraya River.  We wanted to take it to the end but once we had been on it for a good hour and were at stop 22 we decided to turn around and go back as we weren't sure how far it goes.  We later found out that it goes up to stop 30.  You pay 13 Baht ($0.38) to ride it each time you get on it.  On our way back we paid the same and we stopped at Exit 10 and had lunch.  We then got off at Exit 8 and then took a river ferry across to the other side for 3 Baht ($0.08) and visited Wat Arun (aka the "Temple of Dawn").  Here I was approached by a monk asking if I spoke English.  I responded yes and then he asked Joe and I if we had 10 minutes to answer some questions.  He explained that they were studying English and needed to practice with people.  So Joe and I were invited into the temple with the monks to sit down and get interviewed while another monk video taped it.  We were asked questions about what sports we like, what we like about Thailand etc.  The monks were very nice.  Sometimes if they did not understand the English I would answer them in Thai and they did not like this - they said NO THAI.  Later on they asked me about my Thai and how I knew Thai and how long I had been studying it and where I was taking it.  They said I spoke it very well.  Below are some pictures from our day.  Enjoy!  

A monk waiting for the river taxi.

A temple along the river (maybe Wat Pho?)

Wat Arun as seen from the river.

Another temple....

This picture was taken on the river taxi.  If you look closely the sign above the monks heads reads "Space for Monks."  I watched a Westerner get scolded by a Thai for standing in that space.  The man was really rude.  Then a few minutes later the monks invited Joe over to talk with them.  Joe made some new friends - they even requested to have their picture taken with Joe.  

Joe and his new Monk friends.  One was named Sanjrit and I have no clue as to the other guys name - it was a traditional LONG Thai name.  

Walking thru the markets at Exit 10 to go eat lunch.

Sweet and Sour fish (I forget which fish it was though).

Greens - believe morning glory and something else - oh and also mushrooms.  

Yummm - Garlic River Prawns

This street vendor was all smiles when we started taking his picture.  

Dried squid - you think they got enough?

Egg rolls!!!

Grilled bananas - these are everywhere!

On board the river taxi...

The temple at Wat Arun

An interesting statue around the temple grounds.

One of the guards of the temple...

And the second guard.....

Some buddha's at the temple...

Many interesting statues...

Joe and I inside the temple being interviewed by the monk.

Wat Arun

I think he has had too much sun - he is peeling!  

Frieda climbing the steep stairs up Wat Arun - this was quite a workout!

The next set of stairs requires both hands for climbing.  This is Frieda again and I am behind her in the red shirt.  

This is me - I am almost to the top and nearly out of breath and about to lose my knees!

Wat Arun - very pretty!

More dried fish.....

And more....

1 comment:

  1. This is a test to see if my comments are working properly.....

    ReplyDelete