Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Time to Swing Walking Tour

Once a month the American Women's Club in Bangkok offers a walking tour.  This is one of my favorite activities with AWC as it is good exercise and I usually get to see parts of Bangkok that I have not seen yet since I am new.  I learn a lot on these tours.  The lady that leads them is American so the tours are led in English and she is very knowledgeable.  We often end our tour at a restaurant for lunch.  Some of my favorite restaurants were introduced to me through tours with the AWC.  The "A Time to Swing" walking tour took us to the Golden Mount, Monk Bowls and to the Giant Swing.  Afterwards we had lunch at a fabulous local restaurant in which our tour guide ordered for our table.  We had a deep fried snakehead fish and it was fabulous.  I hope to take Joe back there one weekend so he can try it out.  Unfortunately I was so busy chatting it up with the ladies at our table that I forgot to take a picture of the fish - my apologies as I know how much you all love the food pictures!  Enjoy!  

Bells at the top of the Golden Mount - you can ring them all for good luck!  


A close up of one of the bells...


The top of the Golden Mount.....we had to climb a good 400 stairs to get here...


One beautiful view from the Golden Mount....


And another.....


Pretty flowers with the bells along the hike up to the Golden Mount....


Preparing the monk bowls - these are the bowls that the monks use to receive offerings...


Monk bowls on display for sale - they make a very nice decoration...


A Thai man working on a monk bowl creation.....


This lady applies the lacquer, which is optional.  I bought one without the lacquer and it has a more natural look...


This lady is hand painting a smaller monk bowl - they all have sort of a small gold design around them.  

The Giant Swing - this used to be used during ceremonies in the city back in the day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment